Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Saturday 10 October 2009

Pull yer socks up!

After a few weeks of travelling the county and beyond, thankfully the two games today were right on the doorstep. The first being on the Carrs playing fields in Warsop for an U16 game between Warsop Plough and Walesby, before heading up to the Elkesley Road pitch literally a few hundred yards from my own doorstep to do Welbeck's U15's against Southwell United.

Both games ran smoothly, with plenty of goalmouth action. In the first game Warsop started the strongest but somehow found themselves 2-0 down midway through the first half. They pulled one back before half time before levelling shortly after. It then looked as though they were going to run away with it but then Walesby regained the lead. However, Warsop's quality eventually shone through and they won the game late on 4-3.

A couple of key points in this game was that firstly, I turned down 2 handball appeals against Walesby, which they felt heavily aggreived about. The first one I didn't spot as there were a number of bodies in the way but then shortly after, from a cross on the left hand side, it hit an arm that was a little outstretched and my first reaction was that it was ball to hand as the defender was only a matter of yards from where the cross was delivered but thinking back, they've been given for less and due to the slightly unorthodox positioning of the hand, a penalty was probably the right decision.

Secondly, I was very close to booking a Walesby midfielder for not covering his shinpads properly with his socks. I felt as though I was being a little pinickety on the player but one of the many things I learned on the referee's course was that it was crucial shinpads are covered as they can cause injury to others if they become damaged in a tackle. I first told the player to cover his shinpads by pulling up his socks but a couple of minutes later they were down again. I then told him to put some tape on them so he left the pitch to do so but returned without my instruction and without the tape - probably booking in itself, so I firmly warned him that unless he found some tape to cover his pads then he would be booked. I didn't need to speak to him again after this.

The second game again saw the away side take the lead, on this occasion Southwell United, before Welbeck raced to a 4-1 lead. Southwell pulled one back late on but they were well and truely beat in a game of very little incident.

Funnily enough following this game I received a call from the referee secretary informing me of changes to forthcoming weekends, when he said that I'd had a good game today as apparently I was being observed in one of the matches. I didn't know which but got it out of him that it was in the latter at Welbeck. I was given just one peice of advice from him that he'd been told, and that was for me to pull my socks up!! I had worn a pair that had no elastic so one kept slipping low down - I don't know why only one, I must have one leg much thinner than the other, but considering events from the first game of the day, I thought this was highly amusing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment