Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Saturday 17 October 2009

Cup Weekend

A busy day today as I ended up with 3 matches, and it could have been 4 if I was able to fit in Claypole Warriors v Glapwell Gladiators in the U13 cup, but both the distance and the lack of time in between the matches I could take ensured I had to make do with 3!

When I'm down for multiple games I pray that at least 1 of them is mini soccer, which doesn't involve a great deal of running so I can save energy for the other games but all 3 games were 11 aside so I had to ensure I was well prepared going into them. I made sure I was up in time for a good breakfast, which I don't usually have but with me doing the 3 games almost back to back, I wouldn't be able to catch a bite before at least 4pm, so breakfast today was vital.

The first game was easy enough, an U14 tie between Shirebrook Rangers and Ashfield Rangers. Ashfield looked like a team that typically struggled in the best of circumstances so today was made extra difficult for them that their first choice keeper was unavailable so a regular outfield player had to take the gloves. They were limited to just the 11 players also so no subs were available.

Shirebrook attacked right from the off and were quickly in the lead. Dominating possession and not giving Ashfield a sniff, they were 4-0 up at half time and although conceding a couple late on, they went on to win comfortably 7-2. The match itself was incident free and easy enough to officiate but their was an incident on the touchline when an off the ball incident occurred and officials from both sides got involved. It stemmed from a young Shirebrook coach swearing to himself at the challenge before being confronted by the Ashfield official who was running the line, and was also a police officer unhappy at the young coaches language. There was a slight scuffle and I had to intervene so it was no more than handbags but not exactly what you want at a kids football match.

After the game this threatend to boil over as the young Shirebrook representative had made contact with his dad who was a coach of one of the older Shirebrook teams and he'd made every effort to get to the ground quickly to 'sort him out' but thankfully the Ashfield side had left.

The next game at the same ground was Shirebrook Rangers U11 against Blidworth Welfare, again in the cup. This time the home side became unstuck against a decent Blidworth side and again the match went quickly with out any problems. The visiting side took the plaudits 3-1, and this was one of the easiest games I've had to take charge of so far.

Then it was off to a familiar ground in Debdale Lane at Mansfield Woodhouse. The match was Manor 4th U15 against Market Warsop U15 in the league. This was also the first time I'd taken charge of a Market Warsop side of any age since leaving them at the start of the season, and in charge of this side was the club chairman Keith who clearly thought I might bare a grudge as he made sure to warn me of any bias against his side! I'm not one to hold any negative feelings against any club or person though despite having been sort of forced out of the club after trying to take their current U13 side to rivals Welbeck (back to where they actually started and for the reasons of improving the mindset of the players who'd had 2 very difficult seasons at Market Warsop).

The game looked evenly balanced, perhaps with Market Warsop shaving it in the opening half. The main focus was a very well contested battle between 2 midfield giants, 1 from each side who were very competitive, especially with each other. It surprised me really as they were both fairly big lads but seamed to have no problem getting about the pitch, in fact they were both very skilfull and posed one of the biggest attacking threats of their respective sides.

Warsop opened the scoring and shortly followed it up with a couple more where they then began to control the game. The battle between the 2 giants intensified and at times did go a little too far as the quest to overpower the other heated up and I had to make sure I stayed on top of what was a foul and what was ok. I had no hesitation pulling either one up for rough play, especially when they went into tackles with much smaller opposition but gradually the Manor 'general' started to feel that he was missing out on more than he should have had.

In the end, Warsop ran out 7-1 winners as their opponents tired and following the game I was met with a little tirade from the female Manor manager(ess?) about how the bigger Warsop lad was a bully but from my point of view I think her own tough tackler had dished out as much as they'd received.

No comments:

Post a Comment