Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Saturday 24 October 2009

Formality?

Just the one game today at local side Welbeck Welfare in neighbouring village Warsop for an U14 division 2 game against Skegby Colts. One of the good things about getting into refereeing in the local leagues is when you get to take charge of teams for managers or with players that you know, and the Welbeck manager of this age group was a guy I knew well from my time with the club, so it was good to chat with him prior to the game. He informed me that this was probably going to be a tough game as both sides were battling it out at the right end of the table, but he was confident he was going to 'edge it'.

As it turned out, Welbeck ran out 11-2 winners despite conceding an early goal to their opponents. It was a great game that left me with very little to do other than keep count! Welbeck clearly had a very talented side and I was pleased at the end to be asked for my man of the match. I awarded it to the obvious choice, which was the managers son and team captain, who had scored about 5 of the goals and had had a big hand in most of the others, leading by example.

I should have followed this game with an U17 game for Welbeck against Sherwood United at Clipstone but earlier in the week I was asked if I'd prefer a different game but was never actually given one!

No comments:

Post a Comment