Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Sunday 4 October 2009

Fair play

With no game on the Sunday for Hucknall as they were away, I was asked to take the Headstocks in their away game against La Torque, as their opponents were struggling to find a ref of their own.

My experience of both sides had me down for a clear away win as Headstocks were capable of scoring for fun whilst La Torque had struggled against my old side AFC Hucknall Reserves, who putting it bluntly were a very poor side.

Headstocks came out the blocks quickest, taking the lead just 7 minutes in and 30 minutes into the half doubled their lead. They were threatening to run riot but were hit by a couple of injuries at the back leading to changes involving players having to fill in in unfamiliar positions. This gave the home side a little hope and they hit back straight away with a goal and so the half time score was 2-1 to Headstocks with it all to play for.

The opening 45 minutes had gone well with little to dispute and I had hoped that the second half could go just as well. The only moment of interest was very early on when a Headstocks player leaped high to win the ball in the air but I had felt that he'd gained an advantage by jumping onto and above an opponent so blew for the foul which was met by disappoinment and it felt clear that I had made the wrong call and in fact the player had actually done very well to get up so high to win the ball and he hadn't prevented the La Torque player battling for it himself, he'd just chose not to. Often, especially in the heat of the moment I guess it is down to the opinion of each official as to what is declared a foul. I think some would have given the same decision as me whilst others would have acknowledged it to be a great leap. I suppose that will only come from experience. The jumping player then had a bit of a shout my way and I reached into my pocket for my book but even the La Torque players fought his corner saying it wasn't worthy of a card as it was so early in the game, was his first offense and that he was only expressing his disappointment at the decision. I replied by saying I wasn;t going to book him but was reaching into my pocket to warn that I wasn't there to be shouted at - of course I had intended to caution him but felt this explanation told the tale better!

The second half started well too, Headstocks regaining their 2 goal cushion on the hour before they showed clear signs of fatigue, so when La Torque pulled one back 5 minutes later and then equalised a further 5 minutes after, it looked as though the game was anybody's. The contest was now a battle of wills, there were few chances and plenty of individual errors with neither side taking the game by the scruff of it's neck. With just 5 minutes to go, La Torque forced a chance in the box and put themselves ahead for the first time in the game. A couple of minutes later and a long ball sent them away again and as I made every effort to catch up with play, I heard the whack of boots as a Headstocks defender ran across the back of the breaking player and he went crashing to the ground. I thought it was the clearest penalty decision I've had to give for some time but when I pointed to the spot the Headstocks defender was furious at the decision, much to my confusion. The La Torque striker then got up and insisted their was no infringement, he'd simply caught his own boots. It was an act of very good sportsmanship but it didn;t stop me getting a bit of greif for calling for the foul in the first place, I just wished those giving me some stick could have seen the incident from my viewpoint! In the end, I knocked the ball back to the keeper and told him to restart with a goalkick. The game was brought to a close a few minutes later and La Torque had earned a 4-3 win, which at the start of the game would've surprised me but they probably did edge it over the 90 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment