Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Saturday 12 March 2011

Ouch!

To start the day off today I had 2 games at Bothamsall, as Walesby Juniors U12 played FC '05 Bilsthorpe, before Walesby's U14 side played Glapwell FC, who I used to know as Skegby Colts when I was a manager in this age group. I was also originally down to do the Walesby U16 game against Lowdham Colts too but there's only so much I can do before heading off for my senior game! I was surprised actually to find myself down for 3 11-aside games this weekend, but released the third game quite early on.

The FC 05 side was the same that I had done last week in the Notts Shield semi final so as that competition usually ends with teams of a high standard, felt that they would probably go on to win quite convincingly. As it were, they were 1-0 down after 28 seconds! Having seen this Walesby side a couple of times this year, they're quite reliant on a quick, talented striker and it was him causing the problems again.

The lead didn't last long though as 2 minutes later Bilsthorpe equalised, and went ahead about 15 minutes after this. Walesby replied shortly before half time to make it 2-2 at the break.

On a personal note, I was struggling this weekend as I knocked my knee playing football last weekend and it hadn't recovered at all over the last 5 or 6 days and was causing me a lot of pain as I ran. I decided not to put myself through it too much, as I was concerned for my afternoon game so felt I could do these 2 games with very little running. I could see most of the action from around the centre of the pitch, especially at these age groups and so I didn't need to be on top of play all the time.

I controlled the game quite well from a slightly central position and was glad when I could blow for full time for this first game. It ended 4-3 to Bilsthorpe in a result which looked as though it had surprised most as it appeared that they had expected a much easier game but Walesby had made them work really hard for all 3 points.

The second game was a little more one sided as Walesby had only brought 9 players and were facing top of the league Glapwell. They defended well to start with and had kept it at 0-0 for about 12 minutes before Glapwell eventually took the lead. They controlled the game from then on and were 6-0 up at half time. They then continued this performance into the second half, coming out 10-0 victors at the end, a little harsh on the home side who had worked hard.

I was ready to finish by the time this game had ended as my knee was really causing me a lot of grief and I was quite concerned that I would not be able to do my afternoon fixture in Dronfield. I did though learn that I am just as capable of refereeing youth games at a distance and don't always need to be on top of play, though this is a habit I don't want to fall out of, especially in my more senior games.

No comments:

Post a Comment