Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Sunday 23 January 2011

Busy Weekend! - Sunday

I followed up my Saturday games with 2 very difficult games on Sunday. The first was a Mansfield Sunday League game at the Manor Complex, as Mansfield United met Shirebrook RBL.

Both sides tackled hard, but Shirebrook were by far the more physcial side all over the pitch, more so the captain as he threw himself quick and hard into every challenge. I had to ensure I was in a good position to see whether he was endangering his opponents, but more often than not, his challenges were well timed and fair, despite them being very strong. When he was arriving late I shouted to ensure that he remained cautious and fair and very few times early on did I need to stop play for fouls.

However, as the game went on, the tackles got stronger, especially as frustration at some offences crept into play. I had to eventually caution the captain for an unneccessary kick out on a player after making a tackle where he didn't come out as the winner of the ball. His opposite number also received a caution for a swipe at a player, which he accepted, but I couldn't understand why he had made the tackle in the first place.

The easiest caution of the day came when a home player had beaten a number of men and was about to enter the box when the away number 3 took hold of his midrift from behind with both hands and dragged him to the floor. He ended up inside the penalty area but the offence occurred just outside, whilst he was also close to being last man, but not quite. He accepted his caution gracefully and play moved on from the free kick, which was lofted way over the goal.

The second half became more difficult as both sides looked for a goal, there was a penalty claim at both ends before a clear penalty was given to the home side, which at the time made it 1-1. This frustrated Shirebrook further having held the lead for a while and so they became reckless in many of their challenges. I had to have words with both full backs before issuing a further caution to the centre back who was constantly barracking me at every opportunity. I had spoken to him a number of times before finally issuing him a yellow card.

The earlier caution to the away number 3 did nothing to change his game and he continued to commit minor infringements as well as shout at me a number of times and had I been in a fouler mood, there were a good few occasions where he could have been sent from the field of play deservedly. The Shirebrook captain also made clear his intent on hurting his opposite number too as they battled for control of the midfield and I had to have stern words with him, which seemed to work as he remained on the pitch for the duration.

In the end, it finished 1-1, even more surprisingly both sides ended with 11 men. I didn't hear much from any of the away players after the game as they headed off quite promptly but the Mansfield United side all praised me in what was a very tough game. I had thoroughly enjoyed it though and believed I had controlled it well and not allowed either side to dictate my decisions. Every card was required at the time and I made my way to the second game hoping my form could continue into it.

Despite the later game being between U14 sides, the match was just as physcial and verbal as their had been history between the 2 and a strong referee was required - too bad they ended up with me!

I recognised a number of the home players (Sherwood Colliery) from Saturday football and even a couple of the away side (Greasley MW) and thought the game would be very close. As it was, Greasley went 2-0 up quite early, before Sherwood pulled it level just before half time.

There were a number of strong challenges and I ensured that any that needed dealing with was done so in a quick, vocal and stern manner as not to allow for it to continue. Very few players in either side backed out of any tackles and so it was a very difficult game, with many free kicks.

Had I taken on this game 12 months ago I feel I may have struggled but now I am confident in my ability as a referee, especially at youth level and ensure that I let nothing go that requires dealing with. I don't shy away from making decisions, talking to players who require it and let nothing, including the technical team, from swaying my decisions, despite both sets of managers bouncing up and down the touchline all game.

A very heavy challenge in the middle of the park near the end of the first half resulted in one player being sidelined for a good 10 minutes before returning, needed dealing with. I cautioned the player after a good chat. It was his first offence and it didn't merit a red card, despite the protests of the opposition, including the downed players mother!

I had to also caution a couple of players for persistent offences, after speaking to each one a couple of times before eventually showing them the yellow card. I would much rather talk to a player to get them to watch how they are challenging rather than producing a card straight away but after a couple of talking's to, if the issue continues, cards are needed to ensure control is fully with me.

Sherwood eventually took the game 3-2 and there was an injury time shout for a penalty to Greasley for handball, which I didn't believe was the case and in the end, after 7 yellow cards and a tough 70 minutes, I blew for full time. I was greeted first by both assistants who thanked me for a good game before the Greasley manager made his way towards me. I thought I was in for an ear bashing before he took hold of my hand, pulled me in close by his side and thanked me for an absolutely perfect game, except the last second penalty decision!

This was very pleasing and gives me a great boost to my confidence, that even the losing manager can be this gracious and also aware that I had done very well in this game. On reflection, I can't actually think if too much that I could have done better in this game and hope that I perform at this level every week. I know I need to take this level of performance into the senior leagues but I believe it will come in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment