Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Sunday 16 January 2011

Sunday Wars

I learned of my Mansfield Sunday League game for this weekend on Friday night having had no contact throughout the week. I wasn't informed of the teams at the time but I wasn't worried too much about that as I don't really know too many of the teams anyway, so long as I know where i'm going.

It was Archers 703 against Abbott Road and my initial impression was that the much younger Archers side would be too much for the veterans of Abbott Road. The combined age of their midfield 4 must have toppled 200! However, it was Abbott Road who opened the scoring after 20 minutes or so when a free kick floated into the back post via the wind was missed by everyone and nestled into the far corner. The scorer, who I had had words with a couple of times just prior to the goal, firstly for a reckless challenge which he was lucky to not make contact with the opponent, and secondly for verbally abusing a player, celebrated by goading the opposition in a somewhat tasteless manner and so I put him in the book.

To an inexperienced, or younger referee, this game would possibly have been very difficult but I'm getting more and more used to Sunday football every week and so relished the challenge of staying in control. The home linesman was difficult to work with and so I had to make my own mind up about offside calls, whilst a number of the away players were rash in the tackle and also quite verbally abusive. I had to ensure I was taking action with every incident and a few stern words with them did the trick.

I spoke to the away captain at half time asking him to speak to his cautioned player to ensure he lasts the 90 on the pitch whilst also speaking to one of the veteran midfielders about the height of his elbows when he goes up for the ball in the air. Both words were heeded and there was no problem with either of the 2 in the second half.

Archer equalised in the second half on 75 minutes when the wind really got hold of the ball and left the keeper stranded but Abbott had spent a lot of time prior to this wasting time and basically holding up play. It wasn't all their fault as with the wind and the venue, a lot of time was spent fetching the ball from afar, but at times they could have been much quicker.

I intended on playing 4 minutes of stoppage time to make up for lost time and 4 minutes passed just as the ball went out for a corner to Abbott Road. As the ball was fetched, I considered when to blow for full time, either now, as the corner was taken or when the ball was next cleared. I thought it would bring about trouble if I didn't let them take the corner or as it was being delivered so I hoped Archer could clear the ball and earn their deserved point. It wasn't too be though as the corner swung in and was met by the head of an attacking Abbott Road player who thundered the ball past the home keeper.

I blew up as the restart was taken and felt quite harsh on Archer who deserved a point but ended up with 0. There was a flashpoint after the game when a mouthy spectator began to wind up the home team and one of the Archer defenders spent some time embroiled in a heated war of words with the spectator and a few of the away players but luckily nothing more than words were had and I picked up my money and headed quickly for my car!

I was pleased with my performance in a very difficult game and players from both sides said I'd had a very good game which I was delighted with.

No comments:

Post a Comment