Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Saturday 20 March 2010

2 at Underwood

I was down for 3 games at Underwood but the times meant that I had to give one up as I can't split myself in half! The one I ended up not doing was only as assistant in an Under 9's cup semi final, which is still played at 7 aside with no offside so it's not as though 2 assistants were crucial!

The first match was an U14's league game between Underwood and Robin Hood Colts. It was a great game to officiate, with not too much to do. It was quite end to end stuff with chances at both ends. There was an early caution for a Robin Hood forward who was putting his weight about early on, firstly with a slightly late slide on the goalkeeper which I let go with a warning, and then another on a defender which brought out the yellow.

Underwood were playing well and deservingly led at half time through a penalty given when a well struck shot was sent wide of the target by the arm of a defender. The Robin Hood manager had a word with me at half time, claiming to have heard taunts from the touchline aimed at winding his cautioned striker up. I'd not heard these but had a word with the Underwood manager as a precaution.

The second half brought not much change with Underwood playing some slick football and Robin Hood left to rely on long balls for their striker to deal with. Underwood went 2-0 up with 20 minutes to play and a late rally from Robin Hood left for a tense finish when a cross-come-shot by the Robin Hood target man looped over the keeper for 2-1. Villa held on though for the 3 points.

Slight confusion followed this game when another official turned up and was under the impression he was taking the next game on this pitch but I knew I was doing back to back games. It was resolved though when the Underwood U13's manager asked for me as it was I that he had spoken to earlier in the week and it turned out that the other official was the second assistant for the U9's game I couldn't do.

The next game was the U13's league tie between Underwood and Blackwell. I had last seen Blackwell when they were well beaten in a cup game at Forest Town but this was a more fairer battle, and one that they prevailed in.

Another tough battle with first Underwood starting strong and then Blackwell controlling for periods before my second penalty award of the day came as Underwood's forward was brought down clinically in the box and amid claims it was outside the box, I had absolutely no doubts it was inside, and really I should be thanked for being lenient as not to have shown a card when another referee would.

The oenalty was saved though and the rebound was gathered also by the keeper and this led to a huge lift in Blackwell's game. It was still 0-0 at half time but by this time Blackwell were having more than their fare share of posession which continued into the second half.

Underwood were now having to play on the break but were still creating chances. As the game got later, it looked like a 0-0 was well on the cards but at the death from a corner, which sailed straight into the goal. Blackwell celebrated as if it was a league winner, though for all I know it could well have been!

Moments later I blew for full time and both managers thanked me for a good game. I am pleased that my own good form continues but it hels when the games are played as fairly as they have been as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment