Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Saturday 13 February 2010

Early Valentines Cards!

Today was one of my busiest days in terms of having to show yellows with 4 over the games. Probably could have been more as there were one or two others pushing for a yellow, whilst at least 2 of the yellows may have been reds on another day.

Starting at Debdale Lane, Manor 4th against Skegby Colts in the 1st round of the Knockout Cup. This was the fourth time the sides had attempted to play this match, luckily my trip wasn't wasted and the game went ahead. The first moment of controversy came prior to the kick off when both sides were exchanging cards. I was questioned about whether new signings made by Skegby were available for selection as they had not yet played for their side, but Manor were insisting that 3 league games should be played before they can play in the cup. I wasn't sure of the rules but something at the back of mind told me that rules were for finals only. A quick phone call to the league registrar confirmed this and the game went commenced.

Skegby started the brightest and had the ball over the line - just, with only 2 minutes played. The Manor keeper had struggled to stop it crossing and at one point had pulled it back from over the line. I was on the edge of the box and had made my mind up that it had gone over and the reaction of players on both teams confirmed it, together with the linesman, who was a Manor representative, so it was good to find an honest one.

Manor equalised not too long after and then midway through the first half I awarded a penalty for a trip after a Manor player had knocked the ball past a defender who then clearly obstructed him. It was a penalty but Skegby weren't happy about it and made their feelings pretty clear. The funny thing is though, it was an obvious obstruction and had it been out of the box no-one would have had any complaints. The penalty was missed though so as far as Skegby were concerned it was a let off and they could get on with the game.

A couple of times during the first half I had to have words with a Manor defender who had gone in a little recklessly when challenging for the ball in the air. Whilst the ball was dropping, he was jumping way too early whilst turning his back into an opponent, together with arms flailing and legs raised. I awarded a free kick the first time before reprimanding him the second.

On the stroke of half time, Manor broke and took the lead for the first time in the game. I blew the whistle almost as soon as the game restarted. It was an even first half though Manor had possibly just edged it. They were to pretty much control the second half but Skegby did have some chances. Just prior to half time though, I had felt quite a painful tweak at the top of my right leg and was struggling to get about the pitch. I tried to run it off but it didn't look like anything that was going to disappear any time soon. I rang the ref scretary during the break to cancel my second game but there was no-one to replace me so they might have to go without a ref. I decided to run as little as possible during the second half and if the pain got any worse, come off and let the teams sort out who would take over, or see if a ref from the surrounding pitches could replace me.

In fact, the second half went quite well, with Manor pressing mostly so keeping the ball in one half for the majority but the times that Skegby did break, I was able to keep up with play fairly well. Manor went 3-1 up and any fears of extra time was starting to look bleak, which was a blessing, but Skegby were more than in the game. They were probably a little agreived that they weren't awarded a penalty when from a throw in into the box, the player that I had spoken to in the first half pushed a Skegby player in the back sending him to the floor. It was on the edge of the box, probably even just inside but it felt like a very soft penalty if I awarded it but I stopped play to caution the player as this was his 5th offence and the 3rd time I spoke to him. I then gave Skegby a free kick on the edge of the box but nothing came of it. Manor wrapped the game up late on to make it 4-1, which felt a little hard on Skegby, but I was pleased that I had lasted the second half and there was a good 90 minute before the second game was to start. I was a little worried about having to do it but I was going to give it a go but mention to the Welbeck manager that I was suffering a little.

I got to the Welbeck game about 20 minutes before it was due to start. Both teams were in the changing rooms so I warmed up, whilst checking the pitch and the goals. I wasn't feeling the strain from earlier so I didn't mention the injury to either manager and the game got under way. Both sides were familiar, like most teams are starting to get, though I knew the Welbeck side and had taken one of their matches at home this season but I couldn't initially put my finger on when I last saw Robin Hood, the opposition. I remembered it was in Sutton a few months ago for a big cup game against Drezden, and this was confirmed when I was told that they were awaiting one of their key players to arrive from a County match, which had happened the first time around.

This game was heated from the start, when in the first minute two players clipped each other and began exchaning insults. It was quite petty and I simply told them to cut it out. It was a close, tight affair that could have gone either way. Both sides broke forward plenty, firing shots around the goal, winning corners, and looking likely to soon break the deadlock. Robin Hood had a great chance when a long range effort crashed back off the crossbar and the follow up shot was brilliantly pushed onto the post by the Welbeck keeper. Robin Hood were unlucky not to be one up but from the resulting corner, their skipper met the cross perfectly with his head and neither the Welbeck keeper nor the defender on the line could get to it.

Welbeck tried in vain to get back into the game but they tired as the half time break got closer and Robin Hood began to command the match, especially as their County player had arrived and was causing problems. The game threatened at times to boil over as players from both the rival sides tackled strongly and there were a few reactions but nothing that needed any more than a few words. The linesmen from each side weren't making it any easier as every attack saw the flag raised, rightly or wrongly and a lot of the time it was difficult to overrule from my position, especially when it was raised on the counter attack. A number of times I was having to be shouted to see that the flag was up due to probable incorrect calls as any time the ball is played where a player may be offside I always look across the line to the assistant. This got the players backs up too asking me to overrule where possible.

The second half ran similar to the first, with the teams being fairly even in standard, though Welbeck were the first in the half to find the net. They also had a penalty shout soon after the goal when they broke to a one-on-one situation but the Welbeck striker trod on the ball when about to shoot, causing the ball to roll into the keepers arms whilst he took a bad tumble. Clearly the Welbeck crowd didn't see how this had happened and bellowed for the spotkick and I had to take a little flack for a couple of minutes for not awarding anything but I would have had no hesitation had there been a decision to make.

Robin Hood returned to the lead with about 20 minutes to go and so Welbeck again had to find their way back into the game. Their backs were up once again when their striker and a Robin Hood defender were heading towards the Robin Hood goal, whilst trying to fend each other off fairly shoulder to shoulder. The Robin Hood defender had to be careful as during the run he had become the last defender and the Welbeck player had started to edge in front and getting closer to the goal but he still had work to do. His last touch saw him knock the ball a little too far in front of him so he was in a race with the keeper for the ball whilst the defender was also close by. As the Welbeck player ran across the defender, he was hacked back by the hands of the defender but simultaneously the Robin Hood keeper had won the race to the ball. I blew for the foul and there was a little anxiety as to whether their would be a red card shown. I called the defender over who was a little reluctant to speak properly at first as I talked him through the incident. He replied that he didn't care to the foul which negated the protests of his teammates claiming their was no offence, whilst giving 'Mr Blobby' as his surname - possibly enough to turn a yellow into a red. I said he was lucky that his keeper had won the race to the ball otherwise he would be walking, I showed him the yellow card before Welbeck made nothing of a free kick on the edge of the box.

Their were plenty of personal battles on the pitch and a couple from each side were lucky not to be cautioned but late on a Robin Hood player found himself in the book by purposely tripping an opponent as Welbeck broke. 30 seconds later and a Welbeck forward was in the book for the same thing as frustrations began to show. It wasn't helped by the sideslines from each side as they were gearing up their own players and encouraging them to go in hard on the other side. Finally, I was able yo bring the game to a close and Robin Hood edged a close game, probably deservedly so. Whilst their was one or two narks aimed my way by disgruntled players and supporters, the majority of the lads knew the game ran well and thanked me for a good game. I was just pleased to come out of it without feeling my earlier injury too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment