Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Saturday 13 February 2010

Benefits of a linesman!!

I've said earlier on this blog that I'm hoping progression into the higher leagues with neutral assistants will make my job as a referee much easier and after this match that day can't come soon enough!

The game was FC Headstocks against La Torque in the Notts Combination senior league, a reverse of the fixture I had done in November. Both sides were doing well in the league and after La Torque had edged the first game after Headstocks had spent the majority of it in front, this game was billed to be just as tight.

Headstocks have a very talented side, especially going forward, but are a bit suspect at the back. La Torque are similar, with a very ageing back 4 but an attack that is capable of mounting a fairly powerful counter attack.

The first half went well, ending 0-0 and with little to write home about from my point of view. Headstocks controlled and really should have been 2 or 3 up with the chances they created. There were a number of appeals for pushes in the back from La Torque which I remember plenty of in the first game. There was nothing in them though, often the hand was on a back but no pressure was applied so it's no foul. If I pulled it up every time they appealed the game would've been stop-start throughout. I'd hoped for just as little controversy in the second half but unfortunately it didn't quite go to plan.

Only 4 minutes had been played when a La Torque defender played the ball and allowed his keeper to pick it up - a backpass. I made the call and the away side began to protest whilst the home side placed the ball down and stuck it into the unguarded net. I ruled this out and now I had 2 sets of players coming at me! I made it clear to La Torque that it was a backpass and ordered them to get on the line ready for the impending indirect free-kick, whilst informing the Headstocks players that the goal was not only ruled out due to the protests and haste in which it was taken but the position, as they were only 3 yards from the line when they tried to restart, instead of the minimum 6. The ball was respotted and I instructed the wall not to break until the ball was played but before I could blow to indicate the restart, the wall broke and the ball was played and hammered into the crowd of players. I had the kick retaken again and made it clear that the whistle needed to blow before they could start and anyone breaking from the line early would find themselves in the book.

The third time of asking was a success and the ball again was hammered at the wall but it stood firm and there was a large scramble as La Torque tried to clear their lines. A few swipes were taken before one defender tried to clear but instead chose to control it before the keeper took it off his toe leading to another very debated free kick. This time it was taken first time without incident and it was scored to put Headstocks 1-0 up. The La Torque players spent the next few minutes appealing at everything and took their focus right off the game, which cost them a second goal shortly after.

A long hit downfield from the Headstocks keeper was flicked on by the first striker and slotted in by the second. Before the flick on though, there was a decent shout for a push in the back but there didn't look like there was much in it. The angle I was at meant the supposed pushed player blocked the Headstock striker entirely so I couldn't see the push if it had occurred so there was more appeals when the goal was scored. I had believed it was a false appeal but was disappointed that on the return to his half for the kick off, the accused striker shrugged the appeal off and said that if they could get away with it then why not. I made it a priority from this point to ensure I had a clear view of any aerial challenges and give any benefit of doubt to the away side.

The rest of the game was controversy free but La Torque's focus had shifted from the game to any infringements and they eventually lost 5-0. I was pleased with my performance throughout the majority of the game but found the earlier incident tough to manage. As the title of the post suggests, it would have been a lot easier had there been neutral assistants but as I was out there on my own, I think I did reasonably well.

No comments:

Post a Comment