Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Sunday 3 April 2011

Daylight robbery

I had the pleasure of officiating one of the most one-sided games today where the winners ended up being the side outplayed for over 90 minutes! Shirebrook Rovers had been narrowly beaten to the title the previous week and were playing their final match of the season against Mason's Arms.

Rovers dominated the match, to the point where throughout both halves a rarely had to cross the half way line. Masons were barely in the game and couldn't get the ball forward on the few occasions they had possession. It wasn't even like they defended particularly well, in the first half alone, both Rovers strikers were sent 1 on 1 with the keeper 5 or 6 times but wasted great opportunities.

I denied a penalty after about 35 minutes as the keeper went around the side of a Shirebrook player in possession, getting a full foot to the ball and knocking it out for a throw in but the player took a big hit off the keeper and in hindside probably should have been given the penalty.

There were 3 further shouts in the second half though all 3 were easy to wave away and it looked as though the game would end 0-0. However, in the 92nd minute, a trip about 25 yards outside the Rovers box saw a free kick hit over the wall and towards the keeper who looked comfortable on it but the ball spun out of his hands and over his head, into the goal for a very surprising Masons win.

I enjoyed the game, in the heat on a Sunday Spring morning but again there was a lot I could have done better today. First of all the pitch inspection wasn't really done, I had a gentle jog around the edge before kick off and my attention was gained when Masons Arms were warming up to 2 deep divots in the ground on the edge of the 18 yard box. I got these filled in but then 3 minutes into the game I had to stop plkay as there were a further 2 or 3 within the area that were very dangerous and needed filling in.

I could have been in a better position for the first penalty shout as I was about 20 yards away on the edge of the 18 yard box and the offence took place right on the goal line. I was already looking through a few players and this didnt help when the challenge was made. I saw the tackle and saw that the keeper had made a full clean connection on the ball but wasn't in the best of position to see if this had been done fairly.

I was quite quiet today but didn't really need to be particularly vocal.There were next to no bad challenges barr the possible one just mentioned, I didn't have to even speak to any player never mind issue a caution. I just feel like the end of the season though couldnt come quick enough so I can have a rest and come back next season a little more refreshed and ready to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment