Journey to the top!

In the summer of 2009, I qualified as a FA Level 7 football referee. Over 200 games later, I'm now Level 6 with a serious ambition of going as far as possible! Follow my progress here!

Monday 23 November 2009

15 and Out!

My 6th official game for my Sunday side, Hucknall Rangers against Nottingham Knights, became my last as a referee for a few reasons. Coming off the back of some heavy criticism in the last match for them against Linney Group on 25th October, I felt this game had gone a lot better. Rangers had won 15-0 and I didn't have many things to do other than award a couple of clear penalties in Hucknall's favour and caution a very lippy defender. But following this match, I was still criticised by a couple of Hucknall players, who I'd considered mates for the past couple of years, so thought enough was enough.

I'd taken on the task of officiating for Hucknall as a favour to manager and good friend Leon, saving him the task of tracking down a much sought after official every other week, saving him a little money in the process, whilst giving me some extra valuable experience reffing at this level (and some extra cash), as well as staying on the scene with the team whilst I recovered from my broken ankle.

After 2 seasons with AFC Hucknall, the team had been disbanded and reformed under a new name but with many of the same lads as before but there were a lot of new faces so it was good to stay amongst them, rather than not play a part at all until I had fully recovered as the task of trying to get back into the team with a lot of unknowns would have been much harder.

This game itself could have been a lot more had it not been for some wasteful play in front of goal, but I think 15-0 was hard enough on the opposition!

No comments:

Post a Comment